Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Friends In High Places

In my experience in job searching, I've come to know certain people that have authority to make things happen. I would always call on these people to help me find a good job or in the job, make something happen for me. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't using them to hand me everything I needed. I was, however, leaning on them for help because I knew that they could make things happen.
The same principle applies with our spiritual walk, wouldn't you say? We all have mentors, role models, etc. I have people I look up to and are always there when I need them. It's all well and good to have friends that can help you, but we ALL have one friend who sticks closer than a brother... Jesus.

I look at the life of Abraham. In James it says, "And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God." Abraham's faith reposed in God Himself. He knew the God he was dealing with. It was a personal confidence in One whom he could utterly trust. The real secret of Abraham's whole life was in his friendship with God. He knew God to be his good and faithful Friend. Taking Him at His word, he stepped out from all that he knew and loved and went forth upon an unknown pathway with none but God. In addition to trusting in the Word of God, have we learned to lean our whole weight upon God, the God of infinite love and power, our covenant God and everlasting Friend?

We are told that Abraham glorified God by this life of faith. The truest way to glorify God is to let the world see what He is and what He can do. It's not about us, it's about Him... all we do must be for His glory. Not to be seen or heard, but for Him. God does not so much want us to do things as to let people see what He can do. God is not looking for extraordinary characters as His instruments, but He is looking for humble instruments through whom He can be honored throughout the ages.

A very wise evangelist once told me a quote... "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called." We are not perfect, but we serve a perfect God. And the reason He can still use us and work with us is because we aren't perfect. A relationship with our God is the best thing that could ever happen to us. A gift from God is an offer we can't refuse!

We must be careful; we must not have a relationship with God just to get the things we want. James 4 is a great chapter in the Bible. It says in verses 3 and 4, 'Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.'

We must be close to God and listen to His voice and not our own selfish thoughts. Sometimes we can pray for the wrong things... we may think it's the best thing, but our Friend knows better... and I would hate to be the enemy of God.

Draw close to God, and He will draw closer to you. If you talk to God, He will talk back to you. Seek His direction and not what you think is the right way.

Verse 10 of James 4 says, 'Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.'
IT'S NOT ABOUT US... IT'S ABOUT HIM!!!!!!!!

J.H.

No comments: