Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Made to Worship

"I will praise thee with my whole heart... I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth... (Ps. 138:1-2).

I am all about missions work! I support world-wide missions through my local church. There are so many missionaries out there, some even putting their own lives on the line to preach the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ.

I have talked to several missionaries about how they got started, how it is for them in these foreign countries, what barriers they encounter, how long it took to learn the language of the country in which they now reside, etc. I love talking to men and women of God and just picking their brain... can't you tell?

One missionary in particular that stands out and that has my attention a little more than others is Bro. Tony Adams, a missionary to Krakow, Poland. He has such a strong desire and burden for the people in that country. Talking with him, I have felt his burden and gained some insight to missionary life as well. A great man of God indeed.

Bro. Adams and I have messaged on Twitter and Facebook several times. I remember one conversation in particular that was entirely in Polish. I learned the language at a previous job and I feel a strong desire and burden in my heart to go to that country one day.

I've talked with several other missionaries around this world. There are so many different countries out there that need men of God like Bro. Adams to have the discipline to learn about a particular country and the courage to go out there and do a work. Missionaries inspire me greatly! I'm sure there's a ton of things that come with being a preacher in a foreign land... the language barrier alone could be a long and brutal process to overcome.

Think about this: no matter what country, no matter the language or dialect, there is one word that is the same all around the world.

Each nation has its own language. Some countries around the world have several different dialects for just one language! It can get confusing I'm sure, but there is still one word that remains the same for all. The one word that is the same for an American, Russian, Polish, or Italian... Want to know what it is??? Let me tell you...

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard" (Ps. 19:1-3).

Hallelujah is the one word that is the same in every nation. Specifically, the one word that everyone can say, despite their predominant language is a praise unto God. Anyone can praise the LORD. Everyone can lift up His name! It doesn't matter where you are, your praise is still heard!

My associate pastor, Bro. Erickson, told of a time that he was in Chile. In the service, the audience began chanting, "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" in their native tongue. They had to have a translator for the preaching because their languages were different. Associate Pastor Nate Whitley in Knoxville, TN was preaching in Africa... he too had to have a translator. BUT ONE WORD IS THE SAME!

A praise to Jesus Christ is the same no matter where you are. No matter what language you speak or where you are in this world, you can praise God.

It's really something how the one word we can all say, the one thing we can all do despite our background or language is to praise God. It seems like we were all made to praise the name of Jesus.

"There is none like thee, O LORD; neither are there any works like unto thy works. All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O LORD; and shall glorify thy name" (Ps. 86:8-9).

Yep.... It sure sounds to me like we were all made for worship. The Scripture I used earlier in Psalms 19 shares more later in the chapter. The Message Bible puts it this way: "The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together" (Ps. 19:7).

We were all made to worship. The glory of God draws us all together, to unite and praise our God as we were intended to do from the beginning.

Like the lyrics to a song by Chris Tomlin; "You and I were made to worship..."

Think about it.

J.H.

No comments: