Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Take A Walk

Around this time last year, I started going to a local park and walking. I usually start out walking then I run. It clears my head, puts a lot of things in perspective, and just makes me feel better. I like doing this and it really does help me... yes even in the cold temperatures of the early morning that have been here lately.

However, I did not go today. For some reason I was just unmotivated or something... I sat in a local cafe and wondered why I wasn't outside at that particular moment. I thought about why I run. I do it to stay in good health and all those reasons, but I was thinking about where I get at the end of my run. I go down the path, around the bend, and back to the starting point. I have a destination in mind. I have a goal to get to the end of the pathway and back, and I often miss the beautiful scene that surrounds me... I don't really enjoy the things that are around me because I'm focused on simply finishing and that's it.

Often times we take our walk with God this way. We have a destination in mind and are constantly striving just to get there. Yes, heaven is our goal, but that doesn't mean we have to continually struggle for a finish. Instead, why not walk with God in a way that does not consist of simply an end?

I run with a purpose and a destination, but I don't want my walk with God to become such a thing. Instead of striving to just survive and get to our final destination, sit back and enjoy the life God has given you. Instead of a destination, have a relationship. Again, heaven is our goal, but we don't have to rush and miss out on everything that God has in store for us.

Enjoy the life God has given you. Take advantage of the opportunity that presents itself to you. Don't miss out on the things He wants for you because of your tunnel vision. Rather than just, "God save me and get me into heaven" try "God, I love you. Thank you for another day. I'm gonna do all I can for you today and enjoy everything you've given me".

Do you just have a destination, or do you have a relationship?

J.H.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Absolutely love this post. It's really true though. Destination: heaven. But what about that day-to-day relationship with Him? Wow. Love this!