Saturday, November 21, 2009

Flesh Denied

I remember getting my first car... the one in my name and that I was paying for. It was a 2006 Jeep Liberty, dark navy, grey leather interior, power everything, 6-CD player, the works. I was unaware how involved getting the new car really worked. I found out quickly that you need a lender and then have to work out all the many details. I was thinking, "People get new cars all the time. This should be a quick and painless process". Little did I know, the next day I went to the car dealership only to see my stack of papers that said, "Loan Denied". I couldn't believe it!

Well, the story goes that I eventually got the car and enjoyed it thoroughly. I kept thinking about the first lender we tried to use... why did they deny me? What did I do wrong? I wanted that new car, but it seemed like I was looking in the wrong places.

This got me thinking... we have all this 'stuff' we can buy and it supposedly makes us happy, but give it time... when the new wears off, we go right back to getting that new car smell in our lives. It's the same with religion and churches today. We live in an age where Christianity has become a product. From Christian mints, to bobble head Jesus figurines, the faith has been commercialized to the point that we go to the church of our choice, we rate the preacher or music, we'll even opt for online community because sacred space and live people seem to be too inconvenient. We've created consumer Christians who are more dissatisfied their spiritual walk than ever.

However, the true Christian message is one of denial, not convenience. A cross-less church becomes stale bread and cheap wine. It has no power and therefore can be easily parodied and marketed.

Jesus said it this way, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself or be cast away? (Lu 9:23-25)

Looking for that new car smell in your life? You must deny your flesh daily. It's not about all the things we want, rather what God wants for us. His will and His timing is perfect. If we deny ourselves, lose our lives, and follow Him, then we will find our whole life and our entire reason of existence in Him. What good are material possessions? It's just stuff... you can't take it with you when you leave this world.

If you're in the market for something new, or the honeymoon stage in your life is long gone, I challenge you to give Jesus a chance. If you give up living for yourself and deny yourself, then your life will really be saved in Him. Deny yourself, and save your life.

J.H.

No comments: